Enjoy this “Maker Glossary” created for educators participating in Make, Create, Hack + Engineer at this year’s Vermont Afterschool Conference
You are welcome to use this glossary on your own website. If you do, please credit vermontmakers.org and link back to us. Thanks!
STEAMy Stuff! Make, Create, Hack + Engineer
Jenn Karson, Vermont Engineering Initiative + Vermont Makers
A daylong immersion in hands-on STEAM activities with time for reflection and explorations in design thinking for educators and staff working with youth grades 4-12.
- STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering + Math
- STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts + Math
- Maker: People of all ages who make things!
Vermont Makers STEAM Modules
(Developed in 2014 with support from Vermont Libraries and Makers Spark a Culture of Innovation, a program funded by the Vermont Community Foundation and the University of Vermont).
Communities and places for Maker and STEAM education
- What is a Fab Lab?
- U of Vermont Fab Lab
- Vermont Engineering Initiative
- Vermont Makers
- Champlain Maker Faire (fall event + summer camp)
- What is a Hackerspace / Makerspace?
- Generator – a Maker Space in Burlington, VT
- Champlain College Maker Lab
Newsletters and Documents:
- Design Thinking for Educators
- Design Thinking handout
- Design Thinking banner for classrooms
- Electrical Circuit
- Voltage, Current, Resistance and Ohms Law
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
Tools you might find in Fab Lab, Hacker Space or Maker Space: